Monday, September 9, 2013

Introduction

The beginning of the year is off to a successful start. School has only been in session a week and a half, but it seems like months with all that we've accomplished. The interns have already organized two events for September (incredible!) and I believe that speaks to the work ethic and enthusiasm of our students. On September 15th, senior Suzanne Spencer has organized an event on journalism in the face of tragedy. The guest speaker for the event is Suzanne McCarroll, a seasoned reporter at CBS-4 Denver, who has thoughtfully covered Columbine and the Aurora Theater massacres.

One of our lead interns, Camille Veri, has also spearheaded a project for a Prindle Film Series, with the first film Dirty Wars screening September 17th. We’re all hoping for clear skies and warm weather, because we will be showing this film outside on a big screen in the Prindle courtyard.

So yes, like any school at the beginning of the semester, we are busy. But after four weeks of working at Prindle, I don’t think I could ask for a better job right now. As a DePauw graduate, I am biased, but this position has given me the chance to interact (or “rub shoulders” as Dr. Steele would say) with passionate members of the university and Greencastle community. I discussed this briefly in my bio for the website, but Prindle is a fantastic opportunity for me to work in a service oriented job with topics I love.

I met with Beth Benedix today (Professor in the Religious Studies Dept, and Director of The Castle Arts), and we are hoping to collaborate on several projects in the spring with Greencastle Middle School, and combining the school’s curriculum with the Prindle’s mission statement. Nothing like this existed when I was a student intern here, and it amazes me how quickly Prindle has been able to play an important role in the community landscape.

My hope for this blog is that it turns into a melting pot of my view of Prindle events as the Graduate Fellow, ethics in current events, and the ethical life inquiries of a recent graduate. I also hope that my enthusiasm for these topics shows through in my writing, and I welcome questions and comments from readers. Maybe there will be some ideas for future insightful Prindle events! 

No comments:

Post a Comment