Thursday, October 3, 2013

Government Leadership and Responsibility: Failing us during the Shutdown


I’m not a fan of politics, but I am intrigued by leadership values within our political system. I believe our leadership is failing us. By us, I am referring to United States citizens who are directly affected by the Federal Government’s decision to shut down.

When I cast my vote for State Representatives, I am doing so in the hopes that they will represent my ideals, my best interests. How is shutting down the government good for anyone? According to a Washington Post article, over 800,000 workers were furloughed on Tuesday. If you try to access government websites like the State Department, Peace Corps, or the USDA, information is unavailable.

Representatives on both sides seem to be bickering like children. Where is the compromise? Instead of working through disagreements over the passage of the Affordable Care Act, the House has decided to put thousands out of work, and close down National Parks during my favorite time of year? I’m glad I wasn't planning a trip to Yellowstone.

This reminds me of the debt ceiling crisis in the summer of 2011, where again the US government was faced with possibly defaulting on loans. Instead of making a difficult decision as a strong leader, executive and legislative branches decided to borrow more money from the Fed to “hold us off” for a few more years. We need leaders in our government who are willing to make the tough decisions for their constituents and not decisions that support their reelection.

It seems absurd to threaten, and then actually shut down the government because you don’t agree with a single issue such as The Affordable Care Act. Again, where is the benefit to the citizens whom these politicians represent?

Despite all my criticisms of government leadership, I know there are those in politics who are genuinely great people and whose leadership is embedded in personal morals to serve and represent their citizens. I have known many of these people personally. I just wish there were more of those voices.

As citizens, we also have a responsibility to stay informed and voice our opinions on topics that matter to us. This citizen knowledge of Obamacare has been under scrutiny especially in the past week with the popularity of Jimmy Kimmel’s video and the government shutdown. To borrow the time-honored Gandhi adage, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world”. If we want to have strong ethical leadership in government, we must also represent that standard.


Too hard to live up to? Encourage this conversation with friends, or send me an email at prindlefellow@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment